Friday, March 02, 2007

Day 3- From San Pedro, Laguna to North Edsa



With all the documents I need, I was ready to devout another day on chores. Our plan was to first go to Everest Hills to visit my mom and dad’s tomb. But then I did not find a place to buy flowers from, so we had to alter our plan a bit and went to San Pedro, Laguna itself. The municipal hall is right in front of the church so to save time I went there to settle the property tax that I owed. After walking about the market, we were told that someone was selling flowers beside the church so we found the lady and I bought a bunch. We then went to Adelina so I can visit our old house and the house next door that I bought last year. The old house is becoming more run down. The house next door is still colourful.






I borrowed a can from Nardo’s wife to put the flowers in so we can finally make our way to Everest and visit my parent’s tomb. It was a beautiful morning and the sun was shining brightly. The memorial park is well maintained and the breeze is cool even on that sunny morning.



After saying prayers for them we went to Manila Southwoods to clarify matters with the managers of Southpoint. Finally since there was some time we went to Southpoint.





There seem to be more houses now but the place was not yet full. I had to rouse the caretaker from his sleep to find out the location of my lot only to find that even the road was overgrown with weeds! In addition to this there was no water in the swimming pool and the clubhouse was looking a bit run down. It goes to show that when real estate companies show you the subdivisions when they are selling you the property, this is used as a come on. However once all lots are sold, deterioration sets in. I wonder if I could complain about this?

That afternoon, we headed towards SM North Edsa. I had arranged to meet up with Ate Lou and Mommy Nena, my sister’s mother in law. I thought it would take us longer than expected but we were there ahead of time. In fact we had to wait half an hour before Ate Lou arrived and shortly thereafter Maritess and Mommy Nena arrived. I figured, the easiest way was to wait in front of National Bookstore.



Afterwards we went to Goldilocks to have merienda and catch up with each other. I gave Ate Lou the fresh tamarind that she asked me to bring for her and gave Mommy Nena the photo album and the wedding gown and barong that Bing wanted to take to Australia. It was a pleasant chat and before long it was time to go back to Makati.



That evening I had arranged to have dinner with my cousin Kuya Rex.



Carnival in Rio, a letter from Amy







Before turning in to bed I decided to check emails in my blackberry. Among the e-mails I received came from Amy and her notes on the Carnival in Rio. The carnival is an old tradition practiced in many Christian countries where fun and revelry rule the day before Ash Wednesday, which officially marks the period of Lent. Mardi Gras or Fat Tuesday is still a very big event in New Orleans. In rio it is the Carnival. Amy writes about her experiences in the Sambadrome and the preparations being done by the Cariocas to prepare for the parade. The pictures above were sent to my by Amy.

Amy writes:

in total, 13 samba schools participated in the parade, each school
consisting of thousands of participants, with the biggest group
having about 5,000! each school had over an hour to parade at the
800-meter sambodrome and show their stuff. each school had a theme or
story and this was played out in the floats, costumes, and the theme
song. the theme ranged from portuguese history to african jungle to
man's creativity. around 350,000 people depend on the carnival for
their livelihood, and making the floats and costumes is a year-long
process for all the carpenters, dressmakers, technicians and the
organizers of these event. amazing!

watching the parade was quite an experience. we made eye contact with
some of the participants who posed for pictures and gladly and
soulfully did their samba for us as they sang their samba song over
and over until the rhythm amd melody got to us, despite not knowing
the portuguese lyrics. truly an experience to remember!

Unquote:

After all the revelries die down then, Ash Wednesday follows when we are reminded that it is dust where we came from and it is to dust we will one day return!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home